SailNet Community - View Single Post - Have Sailnet changes been announced?
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2002

stpeteguy is on a distinguished road
Have Sailnet changes been announced?

Because Mary Beth missed the question as well as the logic for asking it, guess I''ll try to clarify - gee, hope I spell to everyone''s satisfaction.

The question was whether visitors here have seen an announcement about Sailnet selling off their customs shops. Why ask it? a) some of us here (just like MaryBeth and also me) might be Sailnet customers. b) some of our business might go to their custom shops (a sail or a cushion or a lifeline or some canvas work , where they typically ask for a deposit. c) those businesses are reported as of this week - by one of their shop managers and also a marine tradesman here in St. Pete, not some yahoo on a dock - to be changing ownership.

Let''s see if I can put this into ''not born yesterday'' terms: when suppliers won''t supply extrusions or fabric or cable without being paid in advance (COD), is it prudent to offer cash up front for work requiring supplies Sailnet might not have in stock? If you contract with legal entity A for custom shop work, would you like to know that legal entity B is who must complete it? Would you like to read how the ownership change will work, so that B gets your money from A? I try to manage my money better than some businesses I read about today; am I being stupid to ask about these things upfront? Or perhaps being reasonable asking about what I may have missed, since I''m not here very often?

Who am I? A guy living in St. Pete who needs some rigging and canvas work done on my boat and, since I used Sailnet''s same custom shops when they were JSI, would consider going back to them. And it would help, if Sailnet offerred news of the transfer, for me to see it before I take the next step.

Westsail - just one example - failed after using new customers'' money to build existing customers'' boats. Perhaps MaryBeth would have happily plunked down her deposit; I''m trying to be a little more careful. If we share info here about what we like or don''t about a marine product or vendor after we buy it , why can''t we try to get help here before the purchase? Geesh...

Anyone heard/seen anything on this site about the ownership change? If so, I''d appreciate being directed to it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook