SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wire / Rope Halyard
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007

Gary M is on a distinguished road
I am about to change mine over to all rope. In the old days the line available did not provide low enough stretch characteristics. Now there are lots of choices. You can go to the rope manufacturers web sites and use their selection tool to find what you need. ( New England or Sampson are two).

However you need to be sure that your hardware is compatible. Starting with the sheaves at your mast head. They must be large enough to handle the line size, likely 5/16" or 8 mm in your case. The sheaves must also be smooth, any damage by the wire will result in damage to your halyards. I have been told that if they are the correct size but a little rough you might be able to file/sand them smooth. I am replacing mine.

Second your turning blocks at the mast base are also likely meant for wire so they may be rough. Again I am replacing these with new ball bearing units that will be much lower friction.

Finally your halyard clutches must be able to take the new line size. My halyard tails are currently 1/2" and 7/16 ". I will be going to 5/16" and 3/8" line for my 30 footer. So you guessed it new halyard clutches are also required. Hopefully you will not need all of this but your do need to check.

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook