SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wire / Rope Halyard
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't forget to through-stitch the sacrificial cover to the inner rope, to help keep the cover in place and prevent the inner rope from creeping out through the clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
"Finally your halyard clutches must be able to take the new line size. My halyard tails are currently 1/2" and 7/16 ". I will be going to 5/16" and 3/8" line for my 30 footer. So you guessed it new halyard clutches are also required. Hopefully you will not need all of this but your do need to check."

Gary,

I may be too late on this but I generally have an extra layer of sacrificial cover placed over the cover on smaller diameter high tech halyards where they pass through sheeves and stoppers. This does two things; since it is the covers that typically wear out on high tech line, it extends the life of the line and second it improves the grip of the stopper, or in your case would keep you from going to a new stopper.

The trick is to buy cheap dacron line and strip the cover. I have not done this myself but I understand that the trick is to make a 2 foot or so long circular fid out of light gage electrical conduit. The cover from the sacrificial line is stripped onto the fid and then slip off onto the high tech line where you need it. The ends of the sacrifical cover are tucked through the cover of the high tech line at each end and then stitched into place.

One other point, since you can generally use smaller diameter line with high tech stuff, the price often ends up being close to stretchier low tech stiff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook