SailNet Community - View Single Post - What is best for a Ham operator in reguards to email.
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
I installed an ICOM 802 and Pactor III modem. Both my wife and I got our technition license and my wife got her general license. All this and I still have no idea how to use the radio, that is the next step. I have a few questions I was hoping you all could help me with.

1. Besides our Ham license and ship license do we need something for SSBor any other offical paperwork? The radio has both Ham and SSB.
You need a Restricted Radio Operator's license for each person using the SSB unit on Marine SSB frequencies.

Quote:
2. I want to use my radio for weather info and email. What is the best, most reliable, fastest service for the South Pacific? I dont mind spending a few hundred for Sailmail but if Winlink or something else is better I would be happy to save the cash.
They're pretty similar FWIK.

Quote:
3. How many countries restrict the use of this type of equiptment? How do you find out, do you have to do something special when you check in?
Check with Noonsite.com. The use of this equipment is governed by international agreement, and your licenses from the US should be accepted in most of the rest of the world. China, Libya, and a few other countries may have restrictions on the gear, but they're not likely to be destinations for a cruising sailboat.

Quote:
I am obviously a rookie radio guy. Any information concerning this type of equiptment on a cruise would be greatly appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook