SailNet Community - View Single Post - What is best for a Ham operator in reguards to email.
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
I installed an ICOM 802 and Pactor III modem. Both my wife and I got our technition license and my wife got her general license. All this and I still have no idea how to use the radio, that is the next step. I have a few questions I was hoping you all could help me with.

1. Besides our Ham license and ship license do we need something for SSBor any other offical paperwork? The radio has both Ham and SSB.

2. I want to use my radio for weather info and email. What is the best, most reliable, fastest service for the South Pacific? I dont mind spending a few hundred for Sailmail but if Winlink or something else is better I would be happy to save the cash.

3. How many countries restrict the use of this type of equiptment? How do you find out, do you have to do something special when you check in?

I am obviously a rookie radio guy. Any information concerning this type of equiptment on a cruise would be greatly appreciated.
The technician license does not give you the privileges for HF so only your wife can operate the radio on the ham bands. No countries prohibit HF ssb equipment per se, however, not all countries allow recipricol licensing so your wife may not legally operate in those areas unless she obtains the necessary license which, in some countries, requires passing their test.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook