SailNet Community - View Single Post - Health / Medical Insurance for Cruisers
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007

SuzySailor is on a distinguished road
We're still waiting to hear from 2 insurance companies, but I thought I'd pass on a few tips from "one who knows"--i.e. my brother-in-law, who's an insurance broker in another state from ours (and therefore can't officially help us). He says 1- Don't mention the sailing plans-- insurance people will think it's cool and all, but they'll also think you're more likely to get hurt. 2- Don't mention the foreign travel-- insurance people will think it's cool and all, but they'll also think you're more likely to get sick. 3- Don't try to get US/Foreign coverage, all US insurance plans must cover you for 30 days in any foreign country anyway, and at that point, if it's serious and you want to come back to the US for treatment, you can. (Here is where a DAN plan might come in handy, if you need to be "transported"). Our thoughts are that if we need care in most foreign countries, we'll be glad we're there, as far as costs go. I would think that finding the right doctors might be a little tricky, but I do remember some organization that would help with that, for a small membership fee. My info about it is at the boat right now, I keep nothing in my head. So anyway, that's the 3 cents from my brother-in-law, a great guy and a wonderful baritone but not the ultimate source for anything so please do your own fact-finding!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook