SailNet Community - View Single Post - High ballast to displacement ratios
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
High ballast to displacement ratios

Hi Guys

Just got back from a wonderful weekend sailing my 38 footer. It has a true 50% ballast ratio and a 4''6" draft with a K/CB hull.

She is a Wauquiez Hood 38, a Ted Hood design, built by Wauquiez. I could not be happier with her performance and construction.

We had quite light air this weekend but she moved along surprisingly fast...of course not like a true light performance racer but much better than expected even in 3-4 knts apparent.

I can well attest to her motion comfort and sea kindly ride. These boat are said to be tender, but I have not observed that and when at 15 degrees heel, she locks in and goes for it. I am very pleased with how well balanced she is and her near phenominal ability to track well with the helm unattended. This latter point is a joy in cruising. When there is the need, the board is easily cranked down eliminating any side slippage at low speed and she can point to 30 degrees apparent wind even w/o the board.

Down below, she is very yacht like. Wonderful joinery and nicely laid out with a large Vee berth and ample aft quarter cabin.

I can see your attraction to the Endeavour. They have nice cabin layouts for weekending at the dock. My dock neighbor had a very difficult time selling his because of the wet hull coring. Practical Sailor has a review on them, but I will save you the trouble and just summarize by saying it was less than glowing.

I, however, am absolutely glowing over this boat.

My best to all, and thanks again to Jeff for his terrific advice.

John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook