SailNet Community - View Single Post - DR Paperwork -- where?
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2002

EscapeArtist is on a distinguished road
DR Paperwork -- where?

OK, this is a newby sailor question if ever there was one... I should probably put it on the "learn to sail" board.

While I am an unapologetic GPS navigator, with three units on board of which the latest is a chartplotter, I have been thinking that there are certain situations that require me to augment my electronic navigation with proper dead reckoning.

Since I got my chartplotter, I''ve been sailing a lot at night, for example. And not always in conditions of great visibility. I''d feel better if I had a DR going in a situation like that.

I don''t have any problems with the principles of DR, though I need to practice my fix-taking skills, and I''ll have to brush up on proper annotation. I can get all that from Chapman''s.

My question is, where do you write all of the fixes? My chartset for New-Jersey to Maine cost over $100. I''m not about to start writing all over it, except for permanent things (like GPS waypoints).

Does everyone else mark up their charts? What do you do when you get home, erase all of the old junk? Or do you buy cheaper min-charts and replace them after they are erased to death?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook