SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 24 First Impressions
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007

Hawkwind is on a distinguished road
I've been meaning to update this post in case anyone is thinking of a Cal 24.

My above post on the difficulty in lifting the motor is still my number one complaint with this boat. I rigged up a lever and rope system to make it easier. Basically, it's an axe handle lever with grooves cut to keep it from slipping on the stern rail. A rope goes over the end, hooks to the motor mount and I lever the thing up.

Otherwise, I still love this boat. I had one problem with a water leak that turned out to be from the bilge pump hose. While moving fast, especially under power, the back end of the boat squats a bit and the outlet for the bilge pump becomes submerged. Add a split hose and a lot of water comes in.

The boat is very manueverable under power. In my marina, there is only about a 30ft. behind me before I hit a boat and I share a 20ft wide space with another boat. I have an 8ft beam so there isn't a lot of extra room.

Under sail, I have no complaints. She is so balanced, it scares me. I have literally gone below, popped the forward hatch, taken a pee, flushed, closed the hatch and returned to the cockpit to find I'm still on course, even though I didn't even tie the tiller. I never worried about sailing alone on my old boat cause she would point up so fast, I always imagined that I could swim back if I fell overboard. I hate to admit it, but I now wear a life jacket when I'm alone and moving around the deck.

One thing I may change is the center cockpit, mainsheet layout. The mainsheet block is on the floor of the cockpit which means I have to bend over til my hand is almost on the cockpit floor to lock the line. To release it, I just pull up so it's not dangerous, just annoying. I've stubbed my toe on the block once or twice and the line being constantly in my face just annoys me. My traveler is on the stern so I would just rather have the block there too and clean up the mess in the middle of the cockpit.
Those grand fresh-water seas of ours - Erie, and Ontario, and Huron, and Superior, and Michigan, - possess an ocean-like expansiveness...They contain round archipelagoes of romantic isles...they have heard the fleet thunderings of naval victories...they know what shipwrecks are, for out of sight of land, however inland, they have drowned full many a midnight ship with all its shrieking crew. --from Moby Dick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook