SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seeking a solo skipper doing the live-aboard thing in the Caribbean.
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014

obietobie is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to obietobie
Re: Seeking a solo skipper doing the live-aboard thing in the Caribbean.

I have been looking for crew for some time. Have had some that did not work out others that had tight schedules and had to leave. Do have a couple of possible crew in July.
I am a self taught skipper. Learned by crewing and doing and of course reading. Doing is best with experienced skippers. Something like learning to drive. You need to sit in the drivers seat and operate the brake, gas and steering to get the feel of it and it comes quickly. A lot o f the formal sailing courses are just too formal full of things that are obvious and largely unnecessary filler stuff. Nice to have certificates but sea miles of all kinds is far more useful particularly with some good practical reading while doing.
I am at Fox Town Abacos Bahamas heading for Green Turtle Cay single handing a 36 ft Morgan sloop. I have not thought of myself as a liveaboard but that is essentially what you are when you go cruising for extended periods of time. You live where you happen to be and you are aboard a boat, so is that the definition?
So I do have an internet connection and have signed up and am still looking for company. I am a retired Canadian lawyer, divorced, father of 4 grown kids and grandfather of one.
My plan is to cruise the Bahamas for the next few months then head to Cuba and from there south to most of the Caribbean islands. Of course avoiding bad weather wherever and just living the local life wherever I go. I did not etch this plan in stone so I can say that I am very flexible. Do need to take time out for family and friend events and store or park the boat wherever. Go with the wind and weather and no hurry at all.
I am on skype as raivo.rooneem or mail a raivorooneem at hotmail dot com
The boat can comfortably sleep 4 but with all the stuff that 4 people need it could be a little bit much. So one crew is preferred and two in a pinch.
The crewing sites are very restrictive so this opportunity to advertise for crew is refreshing.
While in the Bahamas the boat can be reached at many settlements that have air or ferry connections. Most distance travel is through Nassau which is central with connecting air and ferry from there. I expect to be in the Abacos for the next few months, may even wait out the hurricane season here. There are many excellent hurricane holes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook