SailNet Community - View Single Post - advice from people with experience towing 30' boat
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
advice from people with experience towing 30' boat

I may not be able to store my sailboat ( 30' LOA, 10' beam, 4'9" draft 8600lbs Disp) at the yard this winter, as room is tight, and based on senority.

I have a couple of choice:
1. Buy a well used (cheaper) tandem flatbed trailer and mount my existing cradle on it for a short tow (approx 10km) to a friends vacant lot for the winter. Still need to tarp boat, etc.

2. Buy a better, road worthy tandem flatbed (with new tires, bearings, electric brakes, etc), mount / weld existing cradle (and put in a couple of extra supports from the trailer to hull) and tow the boat about 3 - 4 hours on excellent divided highway, and then 1 hour on a hilly, twisty country road, to get to free indoor storage at a friend's large garage with a woodstove - I will be living only an hour away, so I could work on the boat this fall / winter.

My main concern around towing the longer distance is that the boat / cradle on a flatbed trailer would mean that the weight is probably a foot higher, than if a custom trailer was made with drop axles, etc.
I am looking to hear from anyone who has experience towing larger boats (30'range) on a cradle.. . Was the towing noticable tippy, bad, etc.
I have towed a 23' keelboat, weighing 2800 lbs, with a similar arrangement, and it towed fine.
I would probabvly use a 3/4 ton Chevy 2500 HD (tow capacity 10,600lbs)

I would consider paying a professional boat hauler, but I am not aware of any within a 4 hour drive, that can set a boat on stands from their trailer - I believe all the local ones require cranes, which can't get the boat inside a garage.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook