SailNet Community - View Single Post - advice from people with experience towing 30' boat
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
As Freesail has pointed out, height is going to be a problem. Most highways will have a clearance of 14' or so, but anything higher is going to be a problem.

What boat are you trying to move. I think going with the second solution is probably better, but it will be more expensive. However, I don't think it is all that feasible, given the height problems.

Given a draft of five feet, I would guess that the boat's height is going to be at least 10' from the top of the pulpit railings to the bottom of the keel. Add another two feet for the cradle and then another foot for the trailer and you're up to 15'. That will probably be a problem. Although you can probably clear many highway overpasses, local ones will probably be lower.

Try giving Brownell Systems a call. They may be able to move the boat using a large hydraulic lift trailer, which would allow them to lower the boat onto blocks and stands without the need for a crane. They're located in Mattapoisett massachusetts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook