SailNet Community - View Single Post - bottom fairing and paint
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2002

capnjim02 is on a distinguished road
bottom fairing and paint

Brion;
I agree with Jeff partially. I have used both racing finishes on my O''Day 30 on the Chesapeake. However I much prefer the VC offshore. I used the vc17 one year and did''nt like the thinness of it. vc offshore is a lot thicker with more copper and holds up to frequent scrubbing better. cost is almost the same. I used Baltoplate a couple of years and did''nt like the fact that it builds up and has to be stripped periodically. I put mine on with an airless, I REPEAT, ----AIRLESS---- sprayer and it lays down paint very flat so it requires minimal sanding to get a finish as smooth as a new gel coat. It does''nt waste any paint either, every thing you spray goes on the boat and stays on the boat. I use 3qt to do my bottom and theres still some left on the bottom at the end of the season. I scrub 2 times a month from early may to late October. I kiss sand first w/220 then switch to 400 lightly and finish w/600.
Now as to barrier coating I did mine 11 years ago and used interlux 2000 and was very happy with results. Havn''t seen one blister come back. You did''nt say whether you were coating because you have a problem or whether its for protection against future possibilities. If you have a blister problem then the best and most reliable system is to peel the gel coat. I''ve heard of too many problems people have had in blisters comming back after a few years if the gel coat isn''t removed. The experts also say to peel and not to sand blast hull. One final word, interlux says you can put bottom paint on without sanding if done within a certain number of hrs. of last coat. Don''t believe it, it will peel.
I have been very happy with West Epoxies for fairing.
good luck and fast sailing.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook