SailNet Community - View Single Post - advice from people with experience towing 30' boat
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
I will check the route to see if there are any local bridges. From memory, there are many overpasses on the highway portion, that I would have to go under, but I thikn I would be OK there. A guy had his 35' older C&C (almost 6' draft, I think) shipped down from Toronto to the Maritimes this spring, on a flatbed transport truck and cradle, and didn't have any issues on the highway.
On the local road, I don't believe you go under any bridges or underpasses, but I will check.

SD - I will do a rough boat measurment from the waterline up, add that to the draft, plus trailer height. My cradle is made so that the keel sits only about 4" up from where the bottom of the cradle would sit on the flatbed trailer. The "faltbed" does not have a bed, just the steel frame and supports. I think that the keel would be about 2 1/2 ' off the ground - but will measure tomorrow.

I would still like to hear from anyone who has towed this type of setup, with a fairly heavy (7,000 - 10,000 lb) boat, to see if it felt secure - or was very tippy, etc!!

Thanks for the replies!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook