SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 21 Owners
Thread: Cal 21 Owners
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014

rjohnson is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 21 Owners

That steel rod that I mentioned, and should show in both my sketch and the drawing that my Dad made of our keel-plug, is what keeps the keel plug fro mriding up. The plug is also prevented fro mriding up by the shape of hte plug.... if you look at the shape of the CAL 21 keel well from below, you will note that the forward end of the large hole in the has a recess if I recall to allow the ballast bulb to clear the forward end of the cockpit opening, and the keel plug sits up in that notch.... (now, understand..... I'm relying on my memory here!!) and that stops the plug from rising up and the steel rod stops it from dropping down (Originally a length of bungee cord held the plug in position there (lead from top of keel plug to underside of the cover over the top of the cockpit opening, but that did not have enough pull to hold the plug into the slot, so the steel rod was substituted). I'll try to sketch how this all works.... I really wish that I still had a CAL 21 to take a picture of (would need to do this hauled out..... might need to lift her to lower the keel and insert the plug to really explain what I mean?)

One note, in the drawing below, there are 2 different angles shown for the metal plate at the forward end of the keel plug, I believe the 60 deg figure is the correct one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAL 21 Keel well_plug fit.jpg (42.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg CAL21_keel plug install_dwg.jpg (36.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg plug2.jpg (46.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg keel plug-labeled.jpg (26.0 KB, 7 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook