SailNet Community - View Single Post - Reaching hooks for Spinnaker sheets?
View Single Post
post #24 of Old 05-27-2014
Once known as Hartley18
Classic30's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5,179
Thanks: 52
Thanked 85 Times in 85 Posts
Rep Power: 11
Re: Reaching hooks for Spinnaker sheets?

Sorry I'm late for this party, but if it helps, reaching hooks were something I looked into for racing whilst we had the Hartley - before deciding that, although seemingly a great idea, they weren't at all suitable on anything larger than a sportsboat.

Originally Posted by blackflagsailor View Post
Okay, so it looks like the book I have uses a 470 for many of the diagrams and a lot of the pictured examples throughout the book. For those who are wondering, those pictures came from "Small Boat Sailing" by Bob Bond and Steve Sleight.

It looks like what I'm talking about might be a set of clam cleats placed near the shroud chain plates. I think these are used on a boat with spinnaker bags (non-shoot boat). It sounds like the ends of the sail are pulled out of the bag and cleated so the sail is ready to be raised.

Here is a small description from the book I found on another page:

"The two clews and the pouch, and the halyard is fastened under the reaching hook if the spinnaker is to be hoisted again soon.
Here's a pic of the 'reaching hooks' you're referring to in the 470 diagram:

These ones are kind-of a combination of cleat and hook and take a bit of getting used to if you don't want the spinnaker sheets to get jammed up on you. Yes, as the book says, you can hook the halyard into the windward one to have it within arms-reach ready for the hoist.

The regular variety 'reaching hook' is the one that zz4gta posted - you simply push the guy under the hook as you tear madly off downwind (no need for tweakers, twings, barber-haulers or any of that stuff). What many people don't like about them is that they aren't locking - by that I mean that if you hit a wave and the load comes off the guy it can pop out of the hook. IMO, a better arrangement is called a "deck hook" or a "brace hook" (the same thing):

What you use is entirely dependent on what kind of boat you have and what sort of sailing you do.

EDIT: I missed that you had a C-Lark 14 - if so, reaching hooks will be very suitable.. but what style you use will depend on how you want to use the kite. If you're an experienced go-fast racer, by all means use the clam-cleat one, otherwise maybe try a couple of deck hooks (the hook part points outwards) and see how you go.

A bad day on a boat beats a good day in the office

Last edited by Classic30; 05-27-2014 at 03:09 AM.
Classic30 is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome