SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pilothouse--Are Builders Missing Market?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2002

halyardz is on a distinguished road
Pilothouse--Are Builders Missing Market?

Jeff, while I agree with many of your points it would seem that many are design issues, where certain hull/rigs were "repurposed." I believe Beneteau did this with a 37 model called the Evasion. Only a few of those boats made it to the US and hit the market at the wrong time but it seemed they addressed many of your points. I had the good fortune of being on one of them. It was impressive.

Mitch,I recall those PS boats, quite nice and IMHO much more "worth the premium" than the CD pilothouse (but notice how the CDPH keeps its price). That many PSPHs were sold if FLA makes perfect sense in terms of market analysis, something that I''m not sure builders are tuned to. Take the case of Duane''s note about the increased appearance of "DS" models.

My personal take on the DS is that its another nod to female appeal with some functional gain in storage and headroom.

Jeff, just what would it cost to build a good 38 ft pilothouse that would address some of the issues you noted (before the builder/dealer markups)?

It''s pretty easy to define the target market.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook