SailNet Community - View Single Post - Will my wife and I be sad or happy with a Nauticat 33 or 38 or similar type?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007

tartangreek is on a distinguished road
Smile Will my wife and I be sad or happy with a Nauticat 33 or 38 or similar type?

My wife and I are in our 50's. We sail in the Puget Sound, (San Juan Island, Gulf Isands,etc). We still both work so we are limited to long week ends, and vacations for our trips. We have had extensive boating experience in sail and power boats under 30 feet.

Our greatest joy in boating is to sail to a secluded cove, drop anchor, spend the a night or two, go ashore and explore new places with our two toy aussie dogs. We eschew hotels and marinas. Interior accomodations are very important (privacy for two couples) and because of the weather an enclosed pilot house is a necessity.

We are seriously looking at the Nauticat 33 or 38 or similar type boat. We cannot spend more than $200,000 all in so we know we are looking at old and used. We have read or received advice that motor sailers are the worst of both worlds, yet I have heard the aformentioned Nauticats or similar can sail satisfactorily. My wife and I don't want to be sad that we bought a boat that won't satisfactorily sail when the wind his blowing 12kts +. Yet when the wind drops we need to be able to make our home port in a timely fashion.

I have read many posts, but still don't have a good grasp of the answer (s).

Any advice about the Nauticats or other brands?

I joined Sailnet 9/02/07 because I was told your group actually has experience and has informed opinions. I would appreciate any and all advice. I want to get back on the water!

Signed:
Tartan Greek (the name of our next boat, I'm Greek, my wife Scottish.)

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook