SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why all the fuss about mcgregor 26's
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Why all the fuss about mcgregor 26's

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrover128 View Post
do NOT buy this boat for blue water sailing. I know of no trailerable sailboat that i would take more than a few miles from an easilly navigable inlet.
Well there are a few, though they are not going to be trailed by the family mini-van! Nor'sea 27 is one, several have done circumnavigations.

I think the 26X is an OK boat for what it is. Not a great sailboat, and not a great power boat, but it will at least try to do both. They are very lightly built so they can be towed, and seem to do it's job well. They will put up with what most owners will be willing to be out in. One thing is that for some reason build quality on any production power boat seems to be way below the level of even an inexpensive sailboat, since these appeal to the power-boater becoming a sailor they often seem really well built. Just a different standard. Most power boats are built to last just a bit past the last payment. Even Sea Rays and other "quality" power boats are not up to the build quality of a Hunter or Catalina. I am not knocking the Mac, it is built to a price point to a very specific market. It gets a lot of folks sailing that would not otherwise do so. And they often upgrade to something bigger. So it is good for the market.

I really like the older Mac's as I think they have some nice lines. They to get people into sailing, so they are good as well.

Last edited by miatapaul; 05-27-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook