SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
YES I agree completely...what Im trying and FAILING to point out is simply those rough offshore conditions cant be duplicated near shore...where they were at and leaving from..and you cant prepare no matter what...because they are not the same....

going through the paces is different than experiencing tropical deprression or typhoons mid ocean...so how can one say you must do that first then go offhshore?

only thing I can think if is they should of crewed on other peoples boats more, offhsore...together maybe before heading out into the deep blue sea

other than that it just wont happen

I also pointed out before that most cruisers in mexico and central america simply will never experience any sort of out there rough tests to boat and crew...in fact most guys get a little whooped in panama and say wtf?
I understand what you are saying about gaining experience prior to departing across an ocean. I completely agree with you on that. I also think that gaining experience is not the same as a shakedown of the boat. Not according to any definition I've seen for shakedown. I've agreed before this thread ever started that gaining experience by actually experiencing it is the only way to truly understand those kinds of conditions and gaining that experience on your own boat is even better.

I think the sick child was the tipping point for them. Everything else, well, some temporary repairs and they could most likely have made landfall. Had they waved off the rescue, continued on and posted about their temporary repairs and ingenuity, most of you would be patting them on the back. A few I'm sure would still find something to slam them for...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook