SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
I understand what you are saying about gaining experience prior to departing across an ocean. I completely agree with you on that. I also think that gaining experience is not the same as a shakedown of the boat. Not according to any definition I've seen for shakedown. I've agreed before this thread ever started that gaining experience by actually experiencing it is the only way to truly understand those kinds of conditions and gaining that experience on your own boat is even better.

I think the sick child was the tipping point for them. Everything else, well, some temporary repairs and they could most likely have made landfall. Had they waved off the rescue, continued on and posted about their temporary repairs and ingenuity, most of you would be patting them on the back. A few I'm sure would still find something to slam them for...

yup!

its the non stop slamming that irks me...people do it all the time think they know it all, have experienced it all and since they have experience they think that by prepping and avoiding doing "stupid" stuff they are inmune to these sort of things

all it takes is a couple of bad decisions or equipment failure and it could be game over

just a little more respect and understanding from the it crowd would go a long ways in letting this thread die in peace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook