SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
My point is this: A shakedown cruise by definition tests the ship and its various systems for problems and deficiencies. How did they get to Mexico? How long had they been coastal cruising? How much work on that boat did Eric do himself? I think much of the stuff being said here is based on what can be read in a blog. A blog! Since they did not blog about a shakedown does that mean they didn't do one?
But of course, they DID blog about it...

Rebel Heart - Charlotte's Blog

What is truly stunning about what she considers to have been their first Shakedown/First year of cruising, is that it make no mention or reference whatsoever to much of anything actually related to SAILING... :-)

However, she did learn this:

Quote:
Cruising with babies sucks.

When they are really little you can just lay them down and sandwich them between blankets like a hot dog, but once they start wanting to sit and crawl, and the boat is bumping and you feel drowsy from Bonine or a little bit seasick and you are just holding a baby in your arms or in a baby carrier or they are stuck in a seat or in a berth while you are underway, or dealing with their older sibling, or trying to pee, or trying to cook, or trying to do ANYTHING…..yes, it’s a run on sentence, but FOR ME, I have not enjoyed sailing with little kids. I think 3 years old and up may be the magic number for leaving to go cruising with kids.
In 7 years of living aboard in San Diego, they made ONE trip out to Catalina, living on a mooring in Two Harbors for almost 2 months, which they initially considered to have been their "Shakedown Cruise"...

I'm still mystified how Eric got the sea time for a 100 ton Master's ticket, he must have done a hell of a lot of sailing on OPBs... :-)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 05-28-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook