SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need ideas on how to raise a sunk boat.
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
You'll probably want some diving lift bags rigged and secured with lines passing under the hull. You'll want to raise her in an as upright a position as possible so airing up the cabin may be the first priority. I would not attempt to raise her on cabin pressure alone. Once you've got her decks awash I'd start pumping her out before moving her-no sense re-capsizing and starting all over. An ejector pump is very handy for that, where you'd find one I do not know, I've only seen them on ships.

Ejectors are used for de-watering holds and the like. Water is supplied to the ejector by another pump via a hose. The ejector has a discharge hose on it as well. The ejector, it's really a jet, is lowered into the flooded space and the water turned on to it. the advantage to it is that you need no electric or air lines going into the space. In your case, it would allow you to use a submersible pump running off a gen-set on another boat alongside while the ejector dewatered your boat.