SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
. How did they get to Mexico? How long had they been coastal cruising? How much work on that boat did Eric do himself? I think much of the stuff being said here is based on what can be read in a blog. .
According to the blog, up until mid last yeat when the Hydrovane was installed.....

Quote:
Right now we have our little X5 wheel pilot which has faithfully steered Rebel Heart for a maybe three or four thousand miles...

There were additional passages to sort out the hydrovane after this I believe. And this note from Eric on CF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
There are plenty of things not written on my blog. It is not, nor have I presented it, as a comprehensive and balanced view of everything about our boat and our life. I picked topics I wanted to put on there; others weren't, so looking at it like you'll find an even-steven accounting of affairs is a fool's errand.
Now I am not saying 4000nm makes one 'experienced' but unless I am missing something( And I might be) I can't fathom how they can be as inexperienced as guys like Jon believe them to be.

However in our first casual 2000nm coastal cruising doing mainly day sails with some overnights(with bub on board) we were caught in several sqaulls and storms, seeing 40+ kts once, and over 25 on several occasions. I recall one day of beating into 25+ and bad seas for 12 hours which was enough to give us the impression that a week of that kinda of thing would be terribly unpleasant. We learn't plenty about our boat, sea sickness, watch keeping and that yeah there are big waves out there sometimes.

Clearly after 2000nm we didn't know everything and we certainly would of found crossing an ocean intimidating at that point, but we had an idea.

I like Dean I guess can't make sense of how they could of been 'cruising' for years and not had gained some of that experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
However, she did learn this:

"I have not enjoyed sailing with little kids. I think 3 years old and up may be the magic number for leaving to go cruising with kids."
FWIW despite having times when she might of said the above on a particular bad day, my wife is of the complete opposite opinion based on the several thousand miles of Coastal Cruising we did when our daughter was a baby. Now she is three sailing is a lot more work If it wasn't fun, if it was all stress we wouldn't of kept doing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 05-28-2014 at 04:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook