SailNet Community - View Single Post - Will my wife and I be sad or happy with a Nauticat 33 or 38 or similar type?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
If I were in your locale, I'd want a pilothouse as well, with a nice bulkhead diesel heater in it! I would agree that the West Coast sailing experience is greatly enhanced by the option of getting off the deck when the cold green stuff is coming aboard. I would also want a pilothouse (with a good set of windshield wipers) to increase visibility forward for deadheads, rocks and over-ambitious kayakers. Not to mention it's a lot easier to keep your radar dry...because my impression has always been that radar isn't a frill there, but a necessity.

The weather in that area can turn rotten quickly, so I think you're on the right track. I agree with the idea that you don't need a motorsailer as such, but given that you might need to get off rocky lee shores and/or motor up windless inlets and/or fight tidal currents, I would suggest that a somewhat bigger motor than I'd recommend for the Great Lakes would be a good idea.

Ted Brewer's designs come to mind. Some of his boats have been done nicely in all materials. See if you can find some ideas here and then you can maybe go look for real life examples.
www.tedbrewer.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook