SailNet Community - View Single Post - DR Paperwork -- where?
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2002

EscapeArtist is on a distinguished road
DR Paperwork -- where?

After doing some additional research, I found a way to print my own dr plotting sheets that are actually NOS color charts.

Nautical charts are in the public domain, we pay for them with our taxes. Outfits like Maptech and Garmin charge us for printing them and organizing them, or loading them into little flash memory cards.

The NOS website has a complete set of nautical charts in digital format, all free.

All you need to print your own "scratch" charts is a computer and a printer, along with a photoprinter application (like HP Photoprint) that you can get free anywhere.

Then, visit the NOS "mapfinder" website at http://mapfinder.nos.noaa.gov/default.html

Weave your way through their "mapfinder" application. It''s not very easy to use, but keep clicking and soon you''ll have a GIF-formatted file of your favorite place onscreen. It will be large. You can even make it your Windows wallpaper if you like.

Now, save the chart by right-clicking on top of the picture, and selecting "Save Image" (Netscape) or "Save Picture" (IE). Put it in "My Documents" or "My Pictures," you decide.

Once saved, start the photo printer program, open the chart, and scale/crop/rotate to get what you want on 8.5 X 11 paper, then print.

This may not turn out to be optimal, but I''m going to try it. I would suggest using good paper designed for your printer (i.e. inkjet paper for inkjet printers, etc) to keep the images stable. It is wet out there!

Paul

sv Escape Artist
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook