SailNet Community - View Single Post - Feeding the cruising kitty
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I very nearly ran off with the idea and just left, but I think it is better to do the work up front and have some kind of a plan before leaving. Even if you don't use the money it'll be a nice cushion that lets you sleep better at night.

You can still live a minimalistic lifestyle and keep your money in your pocket.

Just one man's opinion.

Edit ..

Or, let me put it another way ...

You pack everything up, toss it on the boat, and leave. You cruise around a while and end up getting low on cash. You jump through some hoops and pick up some odd work in a port somewhere doing whatever it is you do. Doesn't pay that great and you start thinking, wow, I would be making a lot more if I was doing this in the states, I could work a day for every week I'm working here. And you're like breaking even or better, but it's tough going, and you start getting this idea that hey maybe what we should do is just fly back home and leave the boat here so we can work for a few months, then we can come back. So you fly home, work a few months, and save up a little cabbage, then fly back and get back on the boat and go.

Or ...

Save yourself the trouble and just go ahead and save up the money now before you leave.

Last edited by wind_magic; 09-04-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook