SailNet Community - View Single Post - Down to 2..shoal draft?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Sab30,

What SD is saying is that referring to a standard draft keel design on your boat as a "full keel" leads to misunderstandings because strictly speaking that term refers to a hull design where the keel begins just below the waterline at the bow and extends all the way aft to the rudder. Think "traditional" hull shape. Your Sun Odyssey, no matter whether configured with a shoal or deep draft keel, is not properly called a "full-keeled" boat. But what's some inexact terminolgy between friends? I knew what you meant.

My bigger concern is your statement that this Jeaneau will eventually be your "bluewater boat". Yikes. I'm sorry, but In my opinion there is no modification that you could ever make that would turn this boat into a bluewater boat. They were never intended for that purpose. I'm not saying you or someone else couldn't make or hasn't made a successful passage in one, but to do so is taking a far greater risk than you may realize.

It would no doubt make a great coastal cruiser, and you could gain great experience in this boat. But keep an open mind about the possibility of upgrading to a sturdier boat before crossing any oceans.

Edit: P.S. Perhaps you meant that you would then get a blue water boat after gaining experience in this one. If so, apologies, and that sounds like a good plan.

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 09-05-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook