SailNet Community - View Single Post - Considering 1977 Tartan 34 - What should I look for?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007

Slice2002 is on a distinguished road
Considering 1977 Tartan 34 - What should I look for?

A little background before the main question (skip to next paragraph if you wish):
I'm new to sailing this year, completing the CYA Basic Cruising and joining a sailshare club through my sailing school on the Ottawa River. The boats in the sailshare program are Sharks and a Tanzer (22'). The boats are fun for day sailing and longer trips are not really an option on this section of the Ottawa River. Participating in the program has brought my family (my wife plus our 2 nine year olds) into sailing and we are now looking at buying. We would like a boat that has room to spend 3-4 nights. From the content here, it looks like a boat in the 27-34' foot range would fit our family requirements, budget, and sailing conditions.

I have combed through many of the posts and have read very good things about Tartan, CS, and Pearson. I found a Tartan 34 on yachtworld that fits into my categories and is close to my next business trip. (I don't have the sufficient postings here to post the link - if you want to see the boat, search yachtworld for a Tartan in Sandusky, OH listed for $27,000). My question, based on this particular boat, is what specifically to look for in a boat of this design, age, and description? The design has keel/centerboard that (to me) would be prone to problems.

Appreciate any and all input.

Regards,
Slice2002
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook