SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bilge pumps 101
Thread: Bilge pumps 101
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Bilge pumps 101

At my yacht club many of the boats are moored on the River.. most of us know we need bilge pumps that work. Today, one of the boats was listing to starboard. I boarded the boat, lifted a floor hatch...about 18" in the bilge and both engines were about 1/3 submerged!

Now the new owner ( he bought the boat for $1.00 and he's going to restore it ) It's a power boat 30+ ft. Twin chrysler engines. it runs great. but it's a mess in every other way. and of course it's a mess of ripped out wiring and gad knows what else. So I couldn't even begin to find out how to get a pump working. Finally we hot wired one to the batteries.

So go to call him.. his phone # on the club list is unlisted! duh! Anyway, one of guys got hold of him and it's been pumped out.

So.. moral of the story.. don't assume anything with bilge pumps, old or new boats, power and sail, and please! Make sure that someone can reach you in an emergency. If you new to boating and or yacht clubs or marinas don't assume someone is going to "keep an eye on things for you" If your on an Active river like my yacht club anything can happen.

I just had to mention this.
Fairwinds!

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook