SailNet Community - View Single Post - Documented Boat Name and Hailing port
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Documentation Number

This has to be done, but isn't on many documented boats. The way I did it is I had a copper plate made with the No. ####### on it, and then epoxied and bolted the plate to the interior of my boat. According to the VSC I had done last week, it's fine.

The name and hailing port

From everything I've seen, non-commercial vessels can have the name of the boat on the port and starboard side of the boat, and the hailing port on the stern. That is how many sailboats I've seen are marked. The name of my boat is in letters over 10" tall. The home port, which is fairly long, is in letters as tall as possible, but not quite 4" high.

If you're looking for regular lettering, rather than custom lettering, you can find 4" numbers and letters at Home Depot or most home improvement stores, for use on mailboxes and the such. They're adhesive vinyl, and should work on a boat just fine.

BTW, Donna Lange's boat, Inspired Insanity, which is homeported in the US Virgin Islands has the name across the stern, and if seen from the side, it says "Inspired Virgin" and "Insanity Islands" respectively.

BTW, most sign companies in your local area can make up a set of vinyl letters for your boat name and homeport in various colors and fonts. Well worth checking out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 09-05-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook