SailNet Community - View Single Post - First boat advice - Mpls to Great Lakes
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014

jBlaze3000 is on a distinguished road
First boat advice - Mpls to Great Lakes

Hello all...longtime lurker, first time poster here. Looking for some advice on my first sailboat purchase. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read what is sure to be a long winded post!

My situation:

I'm a married father of 3 (ages 15, 11, 6) living in the NW suburbs of Minneapolis. My experience consists of sailing lasers and a Pearson 23 daysailer on Lake Minnetonka and Little Bay De Noc on Lake Michigan over the past couple summers. I would consider myself a beginner (but ready to test up to intermediate level ).

I'm looking for something that to day sail with on the inland lakes of the Twin Cities area (possibly buy a slip on Minnetonka), but also trailer to Lake Michigan once a year for a 1-2 week cruise (my parents are retired, living a short walk from the Gladstone marina in the UP).

My thoughts:

-I drive a 1/2 ton Suburban and feel that a 22 footer would probably be the max that I would want to trailer the yearly 700 miles round trip from Mpls to Gladstone.
- I would take my family of 5 on day sails, but would probably only take 3 on overnight trips.
- Ideally I will learn to sail on Minnetonka over the summer, then in late August sail from Gladstone to Fayette, then around the point to Portage Bay and back over the course of a few days. If all goes well next year I may try Gladstone to Mackinac Island. Obviously, I'd want a boat capable of a trip like that.
- After much research, I think a Cat 22 would suit my needs well.

What's available:

Here are 4 boats available now, ranked in order of suitability IMO:

Cat 22 - Nice boat, very popular model, a bit far away:
Catalina 22 Sailboat - 1981

Chrysler 22 - A little heavier, heels a bit easier than a Cat, but overall stability may be a little better?
SAILBOAT CHRYSLER 22' SAILBOAT

O'Day 23 - Don't know a whole lot about these, similar to the above two IMO (?)
23' O'Day Sailboat and Trailer

Hunter 23.5 - This is the closest listing to me and sounds like it would be good to trailer, but from what I've read these aren't big wave boats. I can't find much for info about taking these on Lake Michigan, and I assume there is a reason for that.
1990 23.5' Hunter Sailboat - great condition!!!

Just looking for confirmation to see if I'm on track with my research in regards to the size and models I'm looking at for the type of sailing I plan on doing.

I appreciate any and all replies. Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook