SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?
View Single Post
post #541 of Old 06-01-2014
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

When I was first learning to sail - I was a senior in college in central Ohio and bored one summer (shocker...). I bought a Sunfish knock-off from Craigslist for $400. A few weeks later I was pulling it out of the lake and I noticed both trailer tires were simultaneously flat. Weird storage unit is only a couple miles away. Maybe I can make it back ok because I will likely just replace the rim and tire as an entity instead of changing the tires and tubes individually. Heck, this is central Ohio, I probably won't even encounter one other car on my trip through the back-roads.

So, 25 mph up the road isn't so bad. A little loud but no big deal.

Turn onto the main road, 50 mph is pretty loud for the first few minutes with sparks in my two sideview mirrors. A few minutes later, the sparks move from my sideview mirrors to my rearview because they're now about 5 feet off the pavement.

When I pull into the storage unit, the rims are red-hot with no sign of the tires. They have miraculously gone from 8" diameter to about 4".

21 year old reasoning.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome