SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014

PeterJYC is on a distinguished road
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

When I was first learning to sail - I was a senior in college in central Ohio and bored one summer (shocker...). I bought a Sunfish knock-off from Craigslist for $400. A few weeks later I was pulling it out of the lake and I noticed both trailer tires were simultaneously flat. Weird BUT.....my storage unit is only a couple miles away. Maybe I can make it back ok because I will likely just replace the rim and tire as an entity instead of changing the tires and tubes individually. Heck, this is central Ohio, I probably won't even encounter one other car on my trip through the back-roads.

So, 25 mph up the road isn't so bad. A little loud but no big deal.

Turn onto the main road, 50 mph is pretty loud for the first few minutes with sparks in my two sideview mirrors. A few minutes later, the sparks move from my sideview mirrors to my rearview because they're now about 5 feet off the pavement.

When I pull into the storage unit, the rims are red-hot with no sign of the tires. They have miraculously gone from 8" diameter to about 4".

21 year old reasoning.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook