SailNet Community - View Single Post - First boat advice - Mpls to Great Lakes
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
Re: First boat advice - Mpls to Great Lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
I've seen people on Superior in boats that size, both out of Duluth and the Apostle Islands, and I intend to get my boat up there some day, but I know I'd keep a close eye on the weather.

The swing keel on my boat could be a problem if I ran into big waves because if the boat is bouncing around too much the keel could start slamming back and forth. The Hunter with a fixed wing keel wouldn't have that problem.

This is all strictly theoretical on my part. I have experience sailing centerboard day sailers, and I have (limited) experience sailing 35+ foot cruising boats, but I have almost no experience in the low 20s range.
The Catalina-22 has a keel lock down bolt but I would think if it is that ruff out you may be pushing it ?
I have spent Three nights on mine this year with two adults one child They are a great boat for the intended use. I have been out in 35mph winds this year triple reef with the main only. The heel angle was ok for my wife Lots of white caps but I am not on open water so the waves are still small. I did not lock the keel and did not feel the need to do so. Some of the racers could give you better advice. I wish I could. I have been crew in a few gusty races and have seen water come over the gunnel in a gust.
The **** pit drains work pretty good. Again conditions had high gusty wind with no large waves. We had a 150% genoa I have so little time I can not comment on what might be to much weather.
They also make a wing keel and fixed keel C-22 Still imho weekend boats
Kind Regards, Lou
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Lou452 For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (06-02-2014)