SailNet Community - View Single Post - Does NOAA have any windows...
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2002

tarmand is on a distinguished road
Does NOAA have any windows...

... in the bunker they broadcast from? They must not, because if they did, they''d look out the window every once in a while and tell the computers to change the forecast! Example: this past weekend I took the family to Annapolis. The weather was supposed to be iffy, but the wind was going to come from the East all weekend. Sure enough, Sunday morning when we are set to leave (in the predicted rain) NOAA tells me the winds will be from the East at 10-15 knots. Great, this will leave us sailing up the Bay in one tack on a close/beam reach with a nice short fetch making at/near hull speed the whole way. So what if it''s raining. Well instead, we get 20-25 knots right on the beak out of the NNE, right down the Bay kicking up 2-4 foot seas. The racing crews at the Bay bridge were having a blast, but with a crew of my wife, a two year old and a four year old, we were not "staffed" to maximize the conditions. Sure we survived, we even had fun, that''s not the point. The point is that it wasn''t until late in the afternoon that NOAA looked out the window and changed their "forecast" to reflect reality. Shortly thereafter a Small Craft Advisory was posted. In all seriousness, does anyone know how/if NOAA factors real observations in with computer models to provide weather info?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook