SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cored deck soft spot repair
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014

Memopad is on a distinguished road
Re: Cored deck soft spot repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn99 View Post
Caleb - For your port side re-core where you re-glued the skin, do you think it would have been easier to bevel before you glued the skin down, or was it easy enough to do after?

I am still considering laminating the skin down as my port side is not even. I have leveled it as best I can, but think that a thickened epoxy with the skin would help smooth the bond and ensure it is flat and even surface. I am not confidant that I could laminate new glass and get the same result.

My starboard side is a different story as it is level and I would attempt attempt to glass it over. May try both???
Won't hurt to try either way. I couldn't reuse the top skins when I recored my decks so I had to laminate new glass on about 75% of my boat. I can't even tell where the repairs were done with my eyes at deck level, and I'm pretty picky! When I did that project it was my first time working with epoxy and fiberglass too.

Getting the laminate or old skin level is a big help, but sanding and fairing can cover up a whooooole bunch of "oops".