SailNet Community - View Single Post - New ( ? ) idea on anchoring
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2002

29 cascadefixer is on a distinguished road
New ( ? ) idea on anchoring

Sorry to all of ya for not being more explicit! I meant that the containers would be filled with WET cement and allowed to harden. They would be attached to the anchor chain or the rode probably a distance equal to the water depth ahead of the anchor. The thought I had was it would hold the rode down, so the pull on the anchor would be more horizontal. This also would allow the anchorer ( anchoree ?) to use less scope on the anchor rode, lessening the drift circle at anchor. Using several weights instead of one large one would allow a way more than young skipper to more easily handle the weights involved. Also, if the skipper played out more scope with the weights, more holding would occur because the weights would act as surge protection in a storm situation. I thought of cement ( ok- concrete )because of the ease of moulding the weights. All cold work. No hot melting of lead involved. The cost of a 40 pound bag of ready mix is about 6 -7 bucks in my area. The containers are relatively flat, allowing them to be stored in the bilge down low. Nope- haven''t had to anchor yet. Boat is still a lawn decoration and community coversation piece, but I have hopes ! This thought was brought to you by a VERY amateur boat rebuilder,fecklessy hammering away and need to believe that I may use such knowledge sometime. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook