SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do you feel about catamarans?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014

jzk is on a distinguished road
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

That is the one. She is on A dock in DuSable harbor. She sure is a sweet looking boat.

I am sure that a catamaran like that appeals to powerboat people as well, as it is very much like a powerboat with sails. A crossover if you will.

I wonder how they will like having it in Chicago. The thing about Chicago is that it is pretty spartan in the way of "cruising grounds." So, I can see how it would have little appeal to a catamaran owner. (The northern half of Lake Michigan is a whole different world with thousands of cruising destinations).

There really are no anchorages except the playpen, and there is no where to go with your dinghy.

People that sail in Chicago like to actually "sail." They go out sailing. They don't sail to any location, just out sailing.

Then there is a big powerboat crowd in Chicago. For them, boating consists of driving your boat to the "playpen," anchoring, and partying all day with a relaxation station floating behind the boat. Lots of powerboats there with club music playing all day and more people than you would ever want to have on your boat.

Then there is the "Chicago Scene" boat party which is the yearly event for that powerboat group. There is a guy that used to be on our dock with a Carver that now has an Azimut 55 on A dock (same dock as the Leopard 48). We tied up our powerboat in his same group of about 25 boats rafted together for that party. We made it over to his boat, and there were more drunk people on his boat shoulder to shoulder than I could believe. You could see him stressing the whole time going around picking up cups and empty beer cans the whole time trying to keep the crowd out of his cabins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
jzk:
I think I know the boat in Chicago. If she is the same, (she was at the same yard we had our boat in at the time) I heard it that she was bought out of a boat show, sent to Pensacola, had Randy Smyth do some rigging changes (does she have a carbon sprit with textile rigging and nets forward?), had the boat painted blue, and then she was sent up via the river waterways to Chicago.

It is my opinion that your observations are spot on. The new trends are for very open cockpits, massive flat windows, high booms, and enclosed panels under which important running rigging is run, and forward cockpits. All of which equal to me a very unseaworthy combination. Outremer seem to be the exception to that, at least in the new boats we saw at Miami. That said, a lot of these 'things' get across on their own bottoms so they can cross at least once.

Me, I bought an older boat, and even with her warts, I'm glad I did.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook