SailNet Community - View Single Post - What is the difference between a coastal crusier and a bay b
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2002
JeffH

What is the difference between a coastal crusier and a bay b

Hi Dennis,

I think this is an interesting topic that you and I have rehashed a number of times but for those tuning late.......I think that there is much that we agree on. Even within those areas that you felt we had some disagreement on, I think we have basic agreements. For example, I think that we agree on the idea of a fin keel and a spade rudder (which as you may notice in my post I suggested that the rudder could be either skeg or post hung). You prefer a skeg hung and I prefer a post hung. The reality is that both can be constructed to be able to withstand equal loadings and that in most cases they are not constructed as substantially as they should be.

Similarly, I think that I agree that it is true that many boats with bolt-on keels are not designed strong enough to take to ground hard at speed without significant damage. But I do think that most quality built bolt on keel cruisers are engineered properly and that it is more common to find a bolt on keel better engineered to survive a hard grounding and to have a long life than you find encapsulated keels.

I think we are in agreement that a coastal cruiser needs to be sturdy to withstand the kinds of abuses that it might incur, although perhaps not as study as a boat that is meant to spend it''s life offshore, where the constant motion really can really lead to a lot of fatique related issues. Where we disagree is in how that strength is achieved. I prefer boats that are properly engineered rather than boats that have a lot of material placed without precision. Both can achieve an equally high level of strength but careful engineering and handling of materials achieves its strength with lower stresses and better performance.

I also agree with the idea of an easy to proper anchoring system but I don''t see what an anchoring platform has to do with that as long as there is a sturdy anchor roller that extends far enough from the hull that the risk of damage to the hull is minimized.

I am not sure what you think are the obvious reasons that you would not choose a daggerboard with a bulb, but to me this an excellent alternative if one were building a custom boat. Properly engineered a daggerboard scabboard distributes the loads to a very large area of the hull offering the potential for a connection that is actually stronger than either an encapsulated or bolted on fin keel and which allows deeper draft for offshore passages and which allows shallow draft for sailing in skinner venues. The nice thing about the bulb is that it permits a very low vertical center of gravity which is helpful in producing a comfortable motion, good stability without using form stability, and good ultimate stability.

I hope your launching went well.

Regards
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook