SailNet Community - View Single Post - 9.8HP Tohatsu 2-stroke odd behaviour
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 06-04-2014 Thread Starter
Zanshin

9.8HP Tohatsu 2-stroke odd behaviour

For the past 3 weeks or so my Tohatsu 9.8 2-Stroke outboard has been acting up and I'm not sure what could be causing it.

When cold (more than 1 hour after the last run), I pull out the choke and it starts on the first pull and I immediately push back the choke. The engine idles nicely, and I give it a little bit of gas and put it into gear. I then slowly throttle up and the revs increase and then after 1-2 seconds the engine sputters and dies. I repeat the start process and on the 2nd or sometimes 3rd iteration the engine runs as before and I zip around with no problems.

Starting (without choke) when the engine is still warm is no problem, either.

I know I should take apart and clean the carburetor in any case, but I'm at a loss to figure out what is happening here. I can't tell if the engine is dying because of fuel starvation, too much air, or if the spark is missing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome