SailNet Community - View Single Post - Maintenance Log
Thread: Maintenance Log
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Lancer28 is on a distinguished road
I use only one logbook for each boat. It has areas on the second page to write observations, notes, maintenance reminders, etc.

I track slightly more than probably the next guy, but I use spaces for all my navigation, inboard or outboard run time (I also have hobbs meters), weather observations, forecasts, barometer, fuel used/ taken on, water used / taken on, parts or spares used and locations, repairs made or needed to be made, groceries bought, used, and even meals prepared and propane used / tanks replaced. Heck I even keep people's names and boat they are on when I meet them and log fun things like the rafting up or anchoring together for cocktails, as well as guests and so forth.

I've digressed. I love my logbook. It makes for a good read later on. Back to the maintenance; I have a big three-ring book/binder that I keep all of my instruction manuals, part numbers torn from box tops, regular writing paper with drawings about wiring diagrams, repairs made, and anything else I've done that I need to keep notes about. Receipts stay at home in the safe.

The logbook simply records when I made a repair, and what I have on the "to-do" list with check boxes next to them. When I need to reference a paticular part number or data sheet, or even manual, I open the three ring binder with the plastic page protectors in them holding all the loose pages. It makes it easy for me having a to-do list in the log and the technical library and parts list elsewhere.

(Sorry for any typos, my wireless keyboard batteries are dying and keys are not typing well)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook