SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaborders that never leave the slip? I don't get it. Help!
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Lancer28 is on a distinguished road
Liveaborders that never leave the slip? I don't get it. Help!

I've noticed in my area, the summer liveaboard boaters just never leave the slip unless they need to pump out the head and refill the freshwater tanks, then it is right back to the slip - no afternoon sail, nothing... I've watched more than a dozen beautiful boats sit with furled and flaked sails for 4 months, and the owners just sit on the boat, using the dock lines more than the anchor line.

I'm afraid that if I go on my cruise across the Gulf, I'll catch this strange bug and never leave a slip once I get in a port somewhere. I like sailing a lot and I wouldn't want to treat my boat like a floating flat, and not use it like it was intended.

The problem I see is two things, I have friends at our local airport who we all share a hangar with. They RARELY fly the planes, which is something they are made to do, not sit in a hangar and collect "rash". I think it is a shame to not fly them, and the planes just create a huge financial hole with maintenance on something that never got used, but the inspections came due anyhow. The second is that "new toy syndrome" where after the new feeling wears off, it looses the fun factor, and people tend to not use things ever again.

So what makes guys never leave the slip? Why don't they just go sail for a day after work? Sailing to me is like playing the piano - I can have a hard day and then relax by letting the music help me vent.

Is this a case of too much money and new toy syndrome gone bad, or something else I have not heard about yet?

Perhaps this is one of my noob questions, but curious minds want to know - even my wife and Dad don't understand. I don't want to be one of "those guys" where the members of the club are standing on the pier getting ready to leave for a group sail and talking about me, "No, don't ask them to come along, they never leave the slip." I'd always want to be one of the guys out there in the bi-weekly races, fun-meets, raftings, bbqs..... well you get the idea... how does this happen to these poor souls?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook