SailNet Community - View Single Post - A gripe - The most unseamanlike vessels on the planet?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007

BlueWaterMD is on a distinguished road
Here in NJ we have a boating license... and not too long ago I remember a lengthy discussion on whether or not boating should be licensed. Adding more rules, takes away freedoms that drew people to boating in the first place. I am not going to go into the pros and cons af a boating license.

I have been boating and sailing most of my life. Everything from ski boats and PWC's to fishing boats to sail boats. I think it is unfair to say that one type of boat is "useless." Boating is about being on the water, doing what you love, regardless of what type of boat you are in. Sure sailors get annoyed by loud motors and big wakes of motor boats. But as someone who began on power boats, I can tell you that poewrboaters get annoyed at always having to give way to sailors, especially in tight channels where a sailboat going upwind might really disrupt the "flow of traffic" in the channel.

The thing here is that people need to be more responsible, regardless of what type of vessel they are opperating. Some might view waterskiing as dangerous, while others would say a gulf stream crossing is dangerous. Both parties would however argue that thay can be relatively safe if done responsibly with proper preparations.

I don't think we need more laws, just better inforcement of the ones we already have. You can get DWI's while boating, just not many people do. It often seems as though no one is even watching for them. Fines need to be more severe and actually carried out. And if you are in an accident because you are drunk your boat should be taken away from you, because there is just no excuse for that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook