SailNet Community - View Single Post - A gripe - The most unseamanlike vessels on the planet?
View Single Post
post #23 of Old 09-09-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator
I dare say that there are as many idiots out there under sail as under motor but the difference is usually one of speed and/or size. No matter how you look at it 40' of power at 30 knots is more of a potential danger than 40' of sail at 5 knots.

Interestingly enough I notice that as racing yachts become ever fatser they are also acting far more obnoxiously as if the simple act of travelling at 20 knots gives them some god given right over a poor pleb at 5kn.

BTW in Australia all boats above a certain length plus all of those rotten jet ski sh_theaps are required to be registered. Any craft capable of greater than 10 knots must be piloted by a licenced operator. Jet Skis require a different licence. DUI laws apply and random breath testing is practiced.

What I fail to understand is why noise abatement legislation does not apply to boats. If I drove a car that made as much engine/exhaust noise as the average power boat I'd be arrested.

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome