SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another yacht abandoned, 450 NM SE of Cape Cod
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Another yacht abandoned, 450 NM SE of Cape Cod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Thanks for helping me make my point :-)
Dude - you really need to get better at twisting logic...or at least make better points.

My point has never been that ISAF cures all. You know that, Mr. Binary. My point has always been that a complete lack of safety standards such as in the SDR is just stupid.

At least they're talking a better game with their ode to Steve Black:

Quote:
Many of the Salty Dawgs began their offshore sailing careers with Steve Black, at his Passage Maker seminars, the Caribbean 1500 and the Bermuda Rally. Steve had been executive director U.S. Sailing and had organized the popular NOOD races in four regions of the country before founding the Caribbean 1500 in 1990.

The Salty Dawg Rally is infused with the principles that Steve espoused in sailing: good preparation, good company, good spirits, and a clean wake. Steve emphasized safety and preparation, and much of his sailing time was single-handed. Everyone who ever sailed with Steve has a “Steve Story,” most of them true. Most of them Steve told on himself.

Anywhere cruising sailors gather, at least one of the crowd will have sailed with Steve. To him we owe this debt, he inspired us to cast off the docklines, explore, dream, discover.
Sure, they leave safety out of their own list above - strange. But, at least they give it a throw away in the next sentence. Let's just hope they actually follow in that clean wake Steve laid out with the safety/preparation protocols of the C1500 - thereby actually honoring his legacy. Casting off the docklines for your dream is great - until 5 boats call for rescue.

We'll see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-06-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook