SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another yacht abandoned, 450 NM SE of Cape Cod
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Another yacht abandoned, 450 NM SE of Cape Cod

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Dude - you really need to get better at twisting logic...or at least make better points.

My point has never been that ISAF cures all. You know that, Mr. Binary. My point has always been that a complete lack of safety standards such as in the SDR is just stupid.
As always, if you continue to insist that placing the sole and ultimate responsibility for the safe preparation and passage upon the skipper of each individual vessel, where it most properly belongs - and which the SDR makes abundantly clear in their Mission Statement - represents a "complete lack of safety standards", then we will never reach any point of agreement...

Again, I would invite anyone to speculate how the Safety Standards of the Caribbean 1500 might have prevented any of the losses of yachts so far in 2014...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

Quote:
The Salty Dawg Rally is infused with the principles that Steve espoused in sailing: good preparation, good company, good spirits, and a clean wake. Steve emphasized safety and preparation...
Sure, they leave safety out of their own list above - strange. But, at least they give it a throw away in the next sentence.
I would suggest that "safety" might properly fall under the umbrella of "Good Preparation", but perhaps that's just me...

Why you continue to argue that the SDR has little or no regard for "Safety", is completely beyond me... I know you're read their mission statement over and over, parsing every single word... Do you simply believe they are LYING when they say this?

Quote:

Information including weather, Gulf Stream analysis, location of eddies, and daily weather forecasts during the passage is provided to each skipper by well‐known weather router Chris Parker, courtesy of Blue Water Sailing magazine. Volunteer Dick Giddings manages float plans for all of the boats in the fleet and maintains a daily SSB radio schedule, as well as daily positions for everyone (via HF radio and SatPhone). It is each skipper’s responsibility to decide the course and whether or not to set out for the passage. The Rally, with an emphasis on safety, communication, camaraderie and fun, opens the door to new friends and experiences while cruising various areas in the Caribbean.
Well, anyways... it's nice to see that you appear at least to be coming around to accepting my contention - despite the absence of "data" - that the frequency these abandonments and losses of sailing yachts offshore appear to be on the increase... :-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook