SailNet Community - View Single Post - Southern Cross 31?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
I couldn't pass this one up Although i am a bit biased! I "fell in love" with mine last fall for 10k and spent all winter/spring/summer working on it. I had my 4th and best sail last week hitting 6.9knts upwind.....i have no idea why people say these boats are slow. They need speed to tack and dead downwind is a bit rolly but they sail VERY well. I mean it's not going to keep up with G or SD but i really like it. I put the staysail and headsail on rollers so it is very easy to singlehand. They are actually quite manuverable with the huge rudder hanging off the back. I am docked on a small (20' wide) tidal river with strong currents but i can still turn 360 deg. For the money you can't touch a better bluewater boat! I reaserched this issue heavily! The Bayfields, IP's, Baba's are way more $ and not as strong. The Westsail is too slow and heavy (but bigger inside). I'm headed out tommorrow....12-17knts with gusts too 25...yeah!!! I really like the versatility of the sailplan (even on such a small boat). Don't let everyone scare you about the airex...it is Tough stuff. I replaced all my thru-hulls and scraped out the core around them. It was nearly impossible to remove....very strong...even where some water had entered. The BIGGEST issue is the cored area of the deck under the deck stepped mast...it is plywood and there is not enough of a crown for the water to run off, so it seeps in through the mast step bolt and radio wire holes. Mine was 100% wet so i cut it off and re-cored it. It was not very hard (i still can't find reason to justify the cost of repair at most boatyards). Of course most boats have cored decks so it's a common issue. I love my SC.....it is everything i was looking for. Sails well, tracks well, easy to handle alone and very rugged ( i have to keep my kids safe ).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook