SailNet Community - View Single Post - food.
Thread: food.
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2002

MaryBeth is on a distinguished road
food.

I am not a nutritionist, by any means, and I do think that the right idea while coastal cruising is to find the "happy hour" with the best free goodies. Buy one beer and you are set for the night, or as much as you want to eat!! Re: the Ramen noodle thing: they are great for a quick meal if necessary, but they do require a lot of fresh water to quench the thirst caused by them. I have been on offshore trips that have lasted about three weeks, and would not recommend them for regular meals while on a journey of a week or more. When you eat them, they do cause you to drink more, whether fresh water or tea or coffee or soda or long-life milk. Not a rule, just something I''ve noticed over the years I delivered. As a matter of fact, the captain I most sailed with stopped bringing them on the trips. It is just as easy to fix a pasta with a cup of fresh and a cup of sea and then add some canned meat and some sauce. And, it tastes much better. (The sodium content of the manufactured packets is really extreme and not really great for you over years time.)

But, if you do well with it while on your own, who is to say you should not have what you want?

Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook