SailNet Community - View Single Post - Basic diffeences between a cruising chute and a Geenaker ?
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2002

tsenator is on a distinguished road
Basic diffeences between a cruising chute and a Geenaker ?

While I wouldn''t argue with Jeff H on the history or potential speed benefits of these types of sails, I have to *strongly* disagree with his comment that asymmetrical Spinakers are not easier to "set, fly or strike" as compared to a a conventional spinaker. Well....at least for the typical sailor.

I have been on fully crewed race boats with seasoned sailors and I have found flying a conventional spinaker to be much more involved and I think most sailors would think so too! Plus the rigging is much more complicated, Afterguy, lazyguys, Spinaker pole, topping lift, downhaul, etc, etc.

I can fly my asymetrical Chute by myself. I hit the autopilot, raise the Chute in a spinaker sock (ATN brand), Raise the spinaker sock and I''m off. Lots of people do it, its really relatively easy. I am not sure there are many sailors that would say that of a flying a a conventional spinaker. I don''t doubt Jeff could do it, but if you are talking about the average sailor???

As for jibing, its even easier, just let the sheet out, Jibe, let the asym spinaker go out in front of the forestay and then sheet it on the other side. (or cheat and collapse the sail with the spinaker sock and sheet it to the other side and then open the sock up again)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook