SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rod rigging on c&c 35
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Pamlico-Catastrophic failure of rod rigging is well documented. I know of at least three boats that have had it fail with no warning. Also, when you're out cruising, it is important to have rigging that is easy to repair, as in many areas, rod rigging and the tools needed to make it are not available. Rod rigging can also be damaged more easily, by impact to the rigging than wire rigging, which is more flexible. .
Failures at the fittings have obviously occured but I have never heard of a failure in the body of the rod itself. I am sure if you went under a drawbridge that wasn't open for traffic something would have to give way, but my guess is that with rod rigging, if it was sized correctly, it would be at the fittings because if rod and wire are of equal size the rod is stronger.

Hopefully rod rigging on boats is of high quality stainless and nothing less - I suppose we should beware of rod made in China -